Cincinnati Water Heater Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention

Posted by on Jun 6, 2014 in Water Heater Repair Cincinnati, Water Heater Safety

We have actually recently seen a few news reports about carbon monoxide gas poising being connected back to a water heater as the source and so felt it important to write some about that possibility today. Yes, any nonrenewable fuel source burning home appliance creates this fatal gas. Including water heaters. However, with the appropriate installation of the water heater, in addition to regular maintenance, and a working carbon monoxide detector in the home, one can sleep securely.

Causes of Carbon Monoxide PoisoningWater Heater Repair Cincinnati

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odor free gas that is a bi-product of the burning of a fossil fuel like wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, or kerosene. Breathing in carbon monoxide fumes not only avoids oxygen from being used effectively by the body, but also causes harm to the central nervous system. Persons with existing wellness issues such as heart and lung condition are particularly susceptible, as are babies, youngsters, pregnant women, and the elderly.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide

The cold weather heating period is when a bulk of carbon monoxide exposures occur due to using unvented supplemental heaters. An unvented supplemental heater is a kind of space heater that uses indoor air for heating and vents the gases produced in the heating process out into the house. A lot of heaters of this type use kerosene or natural gas for fuel. While newer models have oxygen sensors that shut off the heater when the oxygen level in the room falls below a specific level, older designs do not have such safety functions. Because of these security problems, unvented space heaters have been banned in a number of states. Other sources of carbon monoxide are malfunctioning cooking appliances, tobacco smoke, clogged chimneys, auto exhaust, malfunctioning furnaces and gas clothing dryers, wood burning fireplaces, and a hot water heater.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Below are the most typical signs of carbon monoxide poisoning however they are not constantly the same for each person who has been exposed and sometimes resemble having food poisoning or the flu. A physician can help in determining for sure.

headache
dizziness
weakness
nausea and throwing up
rapid heart beat
seizures
cardiac arrest
loss of hearing
fuzzy vision
disorientation
loss of consciousness or coma
respiratory failure

Defense By Correct Gas Appliance Venting

The CDC offers the following information on preventing CO2 poisoning by seeing to it ones appliances are vented correctly.

  • All gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
  • Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
  • Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level. Indoor vent pipes should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly.  (read more…)

It is definitely crucial to have CO2 detectors in the house. The Colorado State University Extension provides the following pointers when choosing a CO2 alarm.

  • Some inexpensive alarms consist of a card with a spot (spot detectors) that changes color in the presence of CO. The absence of an audible signal does not meet UL or IAS requirements for alarms, so these devices do not provide adequate warning of CO.
  • Some CO alarms have a sensor that must be replaced every year or so. The expense of this part should be a factor in purchase decisions.
  • Battery-operated alarms are portable and will function during a power failure, which is when emergency heating might be used. Batteries must be replaced, although some alarms have long-life batteries that will last up to five years.
  • Line-powered alarms (110 volt) require electrical outlets but do not need batteries. They will not function during a power failure. Some line-powered alarms have battery backups.
  • Some alarms have digital readouts indicating CO levels. Alarms with memories can help document and correct CO problems.  (read more…)

The following video offers some good safety pointers for water heaters.

Not to scare anybody, but we also wanted to include the following video of a water heater set up that is not working properly and is hazardous.

Please see a physician right away if you believe that you or a member of your household may have carbon monoxide gas poisoning. Water Heater Repair Cincinnati can not stress enough the requirement of seeing to it a professional plumbing repair company services and installs any water heater equipment in your house or business.